Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Wayne White

I've been terribly busy this week, but I wanted to do a quick share about the weekend. Saturday our gallery was lucky enough to have a visit from artist Wayne White. While you may not recognize the name you most definitely recognize his work. Wayne gave a presentation about his life growing up in Chattanooga and how it shaped the artist partially responsible for the award winning set & puppet design on Pee Wee’s Playhouse. He is also behind the videos for Peter Gabriel’s “Big Time” and the Smashing Pumpkins “Tonight, Tonight.”

Wayne was also kind enough to sign Todd Oldham’s book: Wayne White Maybe Now I’ll Get the Respect I So Richly Deserve. I love this book. It’s full of art & comics Wayne has done through the years with its main focus on his “Word Paintings.” Esquire calls Wayne White, “One of the most exciting artists working in America.” And I don’t feel like that’s a stretch.




Group with Wayne White & Michael's Paul Reubens Painting


It was a great event as Wayne had everyone laughing through the presentation, even bringing out his banjo and playing at one point.

Wayne White, Coco, & Myself


I encourage you to check out this book and the work of Wayne White. He’s an amazing visionary and artist.


Big thanks to Michael for the images from Saturday.


No comments:

Post a Comment