Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Hello, Pup.

For some reason I forgot to go by the post office on my way home from work yesterday. I turned around and was driving downtown (where I rarely go) when this little golden wonder dog ran into the center of my lane. He had the shortest legs, but he was booking it. He was following a couple jogging, but when they would turn to him he became afraid and ran into the street. I stopped my car twice. Stopped a car belonging to someone else... and couldn't get him. 45 minutes later I had followed him into the park & he refused to let me near him.


I could not make myself give up. This was someone's dog that had obviously gotten out and was confused. If it were Jack I would hope someone would help get him back to me. I drove home, changed clothes and grabbed Jack, Dog Ambassador of Hope. The dog was following some ladies to their cars, but would not let them touch either. Jack had no problems he introduced himself, introduced me, and two shakes later and we were in the car.

Jack is on the left & the rescue (Lobster McNinnymuggins) on the right. I have no good pictures I snapped a few quick pics with my phone and was done with it. He has the most adorable under bite. And an amazing personality. I hope I'm able to find his parents soon. I can tell he misses them, he cried a bit last night.



I would like to give a few tips for anyone who thinks about carrying home stray animals. I tend to leap before looking as far as animals are concerned. I don't always think through the rescue effort. I know that I can offer them something if not just getting in touch with a rescue organization. My heart goes out to pets that are lost. My dogs are my children and I know how afraid they can be in a strange place without me. So there is no question in my mind when I see an animal in need, I'm going to help it.



Anyway. Tips! Right away...
  • Try to let the animal come to you, gain a little bit of trust. In my case I used a pawn to show how trustworthy I am. Ha.
  • If the animal acts aggressive, don't take any chances. Call animal control. (I hatehatehate to do this & almost never will unless it's just mean. Once an animal hits the pound, they usually do not return.)
  • Now think, what can you offer this animal? Short term & Long term Immediately I think safety... long term I can foster until the owners or a forever home is found. You could contact a local rescue organization if you can't offer a temporary home. I love Almost Home Pet Foundation they helped me place a dog last spring in the perfect forever home.
  • I think the thing the dog loves the most is something to eat & somewhere safe to sleep.
  • I always take the animal to the vet to check for a chip and make sure there are no injuries.
  • And be extra nice to your boyfriend for putting up with this foolishness.
And that's all I have for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment